Pages

Things Abandoned on the Pavement Within 100 Yards of My Home That I Have Taken a Photograph of #3

This one? This one I have no idea about. Three espresso cups and two matching saucers on the pavement. Two cups upside-down on saucers, the middle cup the right way up. What is going on?

It doesn’t fall into the category of “rubbish to be picked up by council”, nor really into “things I don’t need, but someone passing might”. Who doesn't have room for three small coffee cups and two saucers?

Had I interrupted a child’s tea party? Was it some kind of middle-class version of the shell game, fleecing passing north Londoners who failed to find the organic coffee bean? Was this the day the teddy bears were going to have their picnic?

My only other theory is that it was some kind of semaphore signal that Russian spies are leaving for each other. Down/saucer, up/no saucer, down/saucer perhaps meaning “Send more polonium-210”.

I had to know what was under the cups. I looked around for the hidden cameras and steeled myself for anything – the cups being superglued to the saucers, the saucers being superglued to the pavement, my fingers being superglued to the cups...

And what was underneath? Nothing. Nothing under the saucers either. The next day they were gone – either one lucky neighbour is sipping espressos with two friends (one of whom doesn't take sugar), or the teddy bears went down with radiation poisoning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment