Pages

In search of a meaningful existence...

Well another weekend passed working at the restaurant – worked 4 shifts over three days, bringing my total of hours outside my main job to 26… got home to discover my housemates up in arms over some pettiness about not sharing milk and missing slices of bread and today it is raining in London… I am starting to wonder what I am still doing here?

This thought was reinforced even more when I received an email this morning from one of my aunties, who is living in Thailand. A retired home-ec teacher, she moved out there at the start of this year to teach invaluable quilting skills to some very poor villagers so they could support themselves and earn their own incomes. She’s been filling us in on her adventures with monthly updates, and her stories are not only making me jealous, and stirring up the travel bug in me again, but also making me feel like my job and life here are so meaningless at the moment, when there is so much more of the world still to see and so many people of the world I could really make a difference too…

It’s all making me think, what am I waiting for? Why bide my time here, albeit reluctantly, when I could act now and put some meaning and direction back into my life.

The easier and most honest answer is money, and the ability, or inability to earn it elsewhere. Shame really, that money does make the world go round. But I have been in worse positions before and there are definitely a lot more people in the world far worse off than I am… And sometimes you do really need to spend a bit to make a bit, and believe in yourself and take that leap of faith. I have a few thoughts in mind, routes to investigate, and leads to follow up…

So watch this space, as movement shortly is more than inevitable now…

0 comments:

Post a Comment