Pages

We All Have a Choice

Some things in life, you can't help but feel proud of. My beginnings in this world were meager to say the least. But it's part of who I am. I have learned something through every challenge I've faced in life. I am writing this post to make a point to myself, but also to people who think they're stuck with the cards they've dealt. You can always trade at least part of the hand in. But if you do choose to play the hand, remember, you can win a poker game with a deuce high, if you play your cards right. 

I come from a very poor background. I grew up in three-room tar paper shack that didn't have a bathroom. In fact, I lived there until I was 14 years old. We burned coal in the winter to keep warm. I woke up freezing every morning after the fire went out during the night, all the while blowing black coal soot out my nose. I had pneumonia and strep throat more times than I want to remember. I wore hand-me-downs and second-hand clothes and shoes. My mother made most of my dresses. I usually only had two, and if we were "in the money" at a particular time, I might've had three. I was poorer than just poor. Most of time we didn't have any money.

I spent most of life figuring I'd never make it to college. After all, how would it be paid for? Well, I'll tell you how. I took out student loans. I got grants. I worked sometimes up to three part-time jobs while carrying a full-time class load. I worked my way through college. No one, and I mean no one, handed me anything. And I managed to make the dean's list virtually every semester.

After I graduated, I got a job in my chosen field. I do not make treasure chests full of money. In fact, there are times when it's difficult to get by. But I am strong. I will do better than I am now. I know I can because I've done it. I worked my way out of the hollers of West Virginia. I did it on my own. And in the process I learned something about people. Every person on the face of this earth has a story. Neither you nor I are the only ones who've faced challenges.

So here's the thing: I will not under any circumstances feel guilty or apologize to anyone no matter what their personal issues are because I chose to better myself. I deserve what I have, and I deserve the successes I've had in life. And if I choose to improve myself even further, that's what I'm going to do. And I will not be sorry about it—now, tomorrow, or next week. I worked for everything I have.

Like all people, I have suffered great losses and been weighed down by so much grief that I had to drag along with me, I thought death would be better. But I have also felt the love of a child, the warm embrace of a man, and the joy of living. I have known poverty. I have enjoyed prosperity. I am just like everyone else. 

Today I choose happiness and abundance over doom and deficiency because this is a day that the Lord has made. My task is to enjoy it. And you can, too. It's your choice.

P.S. Read about John of God

0 comments:

Post a Comment