Pages

Fearing the Worst May not be so Bad

Lucy Van Pelt: Are you afraid of responsibility? If you are, then you have hypengyophobia. 
Charlie Brown: I don't think that's quite it. 
Lucy Van Pelt: How about cats? If you're afraid of cats, you have ailurophasia. 
Charlie Brown: Well, sort of, but I'm not sure. 
Lucy Van Pelt: Are you afraid of staircases? If you are, then you have climacaphobia. Maybe you have thalassophobia. This is fear of the ocean, or gephyrobia, which is the fear of crossing bridges. Or maybe you have pantophobia. Do you think you have pantophobia? 
Charlie Brown: What's pantophobia? 
Lucy Van Pelt: The fear of everything. 
Charlie Brown: THAT'S IT! 


I, too, have a fear of everything. I know i've said that before. I'm afraid, however, that you may have forgotten so I need to tell you again. 


My fears lead to worry. I worry about things that may never happen. When I let my dogs outside, I worry that they will get out of the yard and make to main road—where they will be run over. When I babysit for my nieces and nephew, I worry that they will somehow drown in the bath tub—whether or not they are taking bath. Or maybe they will get hit in the head, suffering debilitating brain damage. And then the police will think I did it, and I will be whisked off to jail where I'll have to spend the rest of life for something I didn't do. And my meals will be served to me through a slot in my cell's door. On the bright side, though, I'll probably finally lose weight. And I'll get in great shape in my six-by-six cell because the only thing to do in there to keep myself from going crazy is exercise. 


I worry, too, that sometime, on my way to work, I'll get stuck in a snow storm and have to pull off of the road. But it will snow so much that my car will be covered in a mountain of snow and no one will know that I'm there. A snow plow will ram into my car, pushing me over a cliff. And then I'll never know if my house gets remodeled or not. And no one will care. They will just let it go to ruin. And my dogs will have no place to go.


But if I do make it to work through a snow storm, I worry that I will get stuck at work along with my coworkers. And we'll be stuck for weeks. And pretty soon we'll start to get on each others nerves. There will be someone who thinks he or she is charge and will try to bully the rest of us. Then we'll all have join forces to take this person out. But then the next person who's in charge won't be any better. Some of us will keep journals of our experiences. And rescuers will find them because that will be all that is left of us because the only food we will have is what is in the vending machines and that will run out quickly. I think you get the picture. But maybe they will make a movie about our plight using our journals for inspiration. At least that way, we won't be forgotten.


Most of my fears have no basis. They do, however, come from a very active imagination. And it's the imaginary part of my life that keeps me writing. And keeps me thinking.


One of the reasons I wrote this post was to open this blog to other things besides writing about weight loss. If you have been reading, you know that I said a while ago that I intended to make some changes. I'm also considering a name change or maybe a new blog all together with links to this one. That does not mean I'm giving up hope on losing weight. It just means I need to expand my repertoire. 


So I'll let you know where it goes from here. Talk to you soon. K. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment