Pages

She’s Some Kind Of Wonderful

As you know, last week my daughter gave birth to g-baby #3, Maelie. Here we are in our first self-portrait.

Just like Claire and Luca, Maelie's life motivates me to be the healthiest Grammy I can be, physically and emotionally. But I don't live with my grandkids. I don't live with anyone. And living alone after nearly 30 years, I've discovered I can talk myself into nearly every excuse I can come up with to not exercise or meditate - two of the most important things I do to keep myself healthy.

While I don't mind living alone, I prefer not to. I prefer companionship and the responsibility of something needing me. In the past, it was children or a husband who needed me. But I get enough human companionship in my life without living with one, so instead I went to the Animal Rescue League and found Sophie. Or rather, Sophie found me.

As I walked past her cage, with all the other dogs barking for my attention, Soph stuck her front paws out between the bars. I bent over to look at her and she licked my face. She didn't bark, she didn't go buck nutty. She just wagged her tail and licked my face. I'm sure she used that trick on everyone else who walked past that day, but it worked on me.
Sophie's belly is pink because she was shaved for her spaying; she’s a pit bull mix, brindle colored (think peanut butter and chocolate) ; she’s underweight and needs to gain 5 pounds; she was a stray, but she knows the command for “sit”; she snores a little; and because she is trusting and would rather lick my face than eat her food, my guess is someone, somewhere loved her.

And now, so do I.

I know many of you understand when I say that dogs are some kind of wonderful. They love unconditionally and demand so little. My Sophie (formerly known as Skittles) has a lot to learn about pooping outside, but nothing to learn about love. She’s got that down. She’s Sophie, Ph.D. Love is her degree.

Sophie sits in the kitchen while I talk her through what I’m making. After last night, I’m sure she can make a rockin’ salmon fillet and sautéed snow peas. Sophie gets my ass off the couch even when I’ve worked out. She has me climbing the stairs and walking outside more than I have in 4 months. She’s my new weight-maintenance secret weapon.

The only time I’ve heard her bark was when I worked out on the recumbent bike at home. She growled and barked and wagged her tail as I pedaled. Then she peed. Oops. I took her outside, brought her back in, started pedaling again and she went to sleep on her bed. I think she’ll be good to go on the bike path this spring. And the hiking path. I love to hike, but I won’t go alone. With Sophie, I can hike anytime I want to.

Soph was a little afraid of the vacuum yesterday, but got over it without peeing. We’ve had long talks; she’s heard me say “No!” more times than she’s probably heard in her life (necessary “noes,” believe me); and she’s wowed me with her love of her crate, and her ability to crush a tennis ball and yet gently lick my hand.

What I like best about our relationship is that I don’t know her past and she doesn’t know mine. What matters is that we start from this moment and build (with the help of doggie obedience classes) a relationship of trust and understanding.

I’m stepping on to a new road of patience and fitness with Sophie. She's already got me moving more. Soph, it would seem, is on a new road, too. One that includes comfy blankets.

Do you have a dog (or any pet) that motivates you? Post your pet stories in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment