Pages

Hello From The Road!

Good morning from Minnesota! Just a quick update from the birthday weekend. All my sibs and I were at Mom and Dad’s yesterday. (Dad looks like Santa, doesn’t he?) The big party is tonight. Well, big as in the five sibs, Mom, Dad, sister-in-law (who’s just like a sister), and nephew. My niece has to work, but I saw her yesterday.

I’m writing from the hotel breakfast room where the only healthy offering are green bananas and runny oatmeal. The waffle machine runneth over and there are white-flour muffins/danish/bread as far as the eye can see. What an opportunity this could be for hotels to make a difference in how Americans eat! I’m not saying throw out the sausage, but if people get used to seeing more fresh fruit, yogurt and whole grain bread, maybe…just maybe…food like that will become the “norm.” Hey, a girl can dream, right?

I’ve stayed in this hotel before. Four years ago when I was in the early stages of maintenance, I remember hitting the workout room with a vengeance. “I have to work out! I’ll gain weight if I don’t!” I was always in such a panic every time I was out of my routine. These days, I take a much calmer approach to travel. While I try to stay true to my food plan, it doesn’t always happen, but I know I will be right back on plan the next meal. Almost gone are the guilts (almost…) for not working out for three or four days. Three or four sedentary days and a few meals off plan are not excuses to mess up maintenance. When I get home, I’ll hope back on the bike, eat clean, and move on.

Tonight is Dad’s birthday (happy 80th, Daddy!). On the menu? The others will have pot roast, Dad’s favorite. For me, it’s a big salad and leftover wild rice soup from last night, which my sister modified just for me. How sweet is that? Typically it’s made with chicken broth and half and half. Tracy used veggie broth and fat-free half and half. My family has always been on board with my “diet.” I wish everyone had this kind of family support.

Hope this finds you enjoying your weekend. Next time I write, I will be back home and back in the food-and-exercise saddle again.

0 comments:

Post a Comment