Pages

Is it meant to hurt this much?

That is what I am pondering on this lovely sunny morning....

My main reason is because both Dade and I are feeling extremely stiff and achy today (admittedly Dade, far more than me!) because we went to a Muay Thai class on Tuesday night, and boy did they give us a good work out!

For those of you who don't know what Muay Thai is, it's Thai Boxing, or can also be known as The Art of the Eight Limbs, as the hands, shins, elbows and knees are all used as points of contact, as opposed to the tradition two (fists) in western boxing, or four (fists and feet) in most other martial arts.
Our participation was initiated by a discussion with Helen, a friend from work, over a work lunch (and free wine) the week before when she mentioned her and her husband were going to give it a go. So we set up a double date for Tuesday night and off we went. Unfortunately her husband was ill, so it was just Helen, Dade and I who rocked up to inflict pain voluntarily on ourselves!! It was great fun though, and Helen and I pretty much got 2-1 tuition (I'm not sure they are used to having girls turn up!) and Dade was able to have a good sparring session one on one with the other instructor. A little too good a session it seems now!
Afterwards we were both thinking, hey that was a great workout and we are going to ache a bit, since we haven't really done anything quite that energetic for a while, but waking up this morning....ouch! It took Dade twice as long to actually get dressed! (I'm off today so haven't had to move much yet!)... so I'm wondering IS IT REALLY MEANT TO HURT THIS MUCH?

And while I was lying in bed, trying not to move the muscles which hurt, and reading my book, thus avoiding getting up and having to move those muscles which hurt, I came across this idea;

We all have a personal calling, or a dream, but most people don't have the courage to confront it, as so many things in this society tell us it's impossible to achieve. This, coupled with feelings of guilt and fear and prejudice start to build up thus swamping our dream, so we actually have to actively work hard to remember that it’s still there. Those of us that do confront our dream and hold onto it tight, let another obstacle get in way of achieving it: Love.

"We know want we want to do, but are afraid of hurting those around us by abandoning everything in order to pursue their dream. We do not realise that love is a further impetus, not something will prevent us from going forward, and that those who genuinely wish us well want us to be happy and are prepared to accompany us on that journey"

Those that do accept that love can be the stimulus, then let another obstacle stand in the way, fear of hurt and defeat. They don’t want to fail, nor get hurt along the way…


(I'm reading the Alchemist by Paulo Coelho at the moment...)

So now I'm wondering, if everyone is so willing to forfeit joy and their dreams to avoid pain, are we just MAD to have willing inflicted pain upon ourselves by going to Muay Thai?

Although since we hurt this much now anyway, we might as well strive for our dreams, cos I’m sure nothing along that path could hurt this much!!!!!

Did I mention IT HURTS!

Random thoughts for a Thursday morning………. Right, now I’m off to get my hair cut, before some retail therapy and a hectic night at work!

0 comments:

Post a Comment