Pages

What’s Your Fitness Personality?

Ever take a Myers-Briggs test? You know the one that tells you if you’re extroverted (E) or introverted (I), sensing (S) or intuitive (I), thinking (T) or feeling (F), perceiving (P) or judging (J).

In the latest edition of “Arthritis Today,” there’s an article about how your personality type can help you develop the correct fitness program for you. Suzanne Brue, author of the book “The 8 Colors of Fitness,” developed a mini Myers-Briggs quiz and, based on your results, a color chart to correlate between personality type and fitness preference. I took the quiz and my personality type is ISTJ (no surprises there) and my color is blue. More specifically, ISTJ makes me a Blue Efficient.

My review? I think Suzanne Brue is on to something. She certainly has my workout personality nailed:

“Blues are guided by clear fitness goals and objectives…(They) prefer keeping their exercise plans plain, simple, and easy to execute so they can achieve their goals. Keeping commitments to themselves ranks high with Blues.

“Blues are highly sensitized and aware of their bodies…Because they are exercising for a purpose, it doesn’t make sense to spend time experimenting on new routines…Blues are not interested in the latest weight program being touted or in getting their exercise in ‘fun’ new ways. Blues focus on the purpose of exercise. They will have their fun some other time…Blues are motivated by keeping track of their workouts. Record-keeping allows Blues to refer to their progress in the orderly manner…Blues seek calm and familiar environments that allow them to focus on the task at hand. They find commotion and interruptions disturbing and prefer keeping their gym interactions to a minimum.

“Blue Efficients have a pragmatic, no-nonsense approach to personal training sessions. They want to get down to business right away and have little interest in chit chat that does not relate to the job at hand.”

I’m curious what fitness color my blog readers are. I doubt you’re all Blues, so take the quiz and let me know! Let’s see if we have a rainbow of fitness here on Lynn’s Weigh.

In keeping with my no-nonsense, no-fun *giggle* approach to fitness, how do you suppose I make a dreaded exercise more pleasant? I make it harder!

Yes, call me a fascist, but this particular ab/core move I do that makes me crabbier than any other is now even harder for me to execute, thanks to a 5-pound weighted ball. And when THAT move makes me crazier still, I’ll move up to an 8-pound ball! Take that belly flab!

The exercise I’m talking about is simply a sit-up/crunch-type move that involves my workout bench lowered to a 45-degree angle. I do 3 sets of 20 reps holding the ball across my chest.
My lower abs whined, as did my latissimus dorsi muscles, for a few days, but they’re happy (and stronger) now. While I won’t ever be sporting a bikini, hopefully a few more months of these sit ups and my lower abs won’t need to be covered up with a “flowing” bathing suit top, know what I mean?

I’m pretty no-nonsense and dull when it comes to workout clothes, too. However, I have one t-shirt (a gift from my friend Kristin) that I only wear at home:

It’s a nasty little acronym, I know, but when I wear that shirt, I feel super strong, super energetic and (dare I say?) kinda sexy.

Hey, anything that gets us through a tough workout, right?

----------------------------------------------------------

As promised, I randomly drew (and notified) a winner of Charlie Hill’s book “Why Your Last Diet Failed You (And How This Book Won’t Help You On Your Next One).” (Congrats Shelley!) Thank you everyone for your comments and for reading my blog. A special welcome to new readers!

If you didn’t hear from me, you can still buy Charlie’s book on Amazon or visit his blog, Back to the Fridge, for more dieting/life humor and wisdom.

Catch Charlie today on the last leg of his virtual book tour. He’s posted a guest post on one of my favorite blogs, Cranky Fitness.

0 comments:

Post a Comment