Pages

Just Call Me Madam Curry

We were talking about our favorite spices over on Lynn’s Weigh on Facebook and I mentioned I love to cook with curries. A few folks asked what some of my favorite curry recipes are, so I’ve compiled a list of my most-made dishes with links to the recipes.

If you’re new to curry, curry isn’t a spice derived from one plant. It’s a combination of spices such as turmeric, ginger, garlic, cardamom, et al. Curry’s a bit confusing, but this explanation at Wise Geek is pretty good.

So here you go, a few of my favorite recipes that call for the spices that make up curry.

Satisfying Lentil Soup from Healthy Cooking

When I used 16 ounces of lentils the first time I made this, it was overkill. Way too thick for my taste. Next time I used 8 oz and it was perfect.

Next time I make this, I’ll use half Maharajah curry and half hot curry. I got these lovely spice combos at My Spice Sage. I love My Spice Sage. Reasonable shipping, excellent customer service, and you get a 1-ounce free spice of your choice with every order. (I have enough free bay leaves to last me the winter!) With my next order, I’ll try the Madras curry, maybe the Vindaloo.

Curried Black Bean and Sweet Potato Skillet from Dani Spies

This is, like, favorite food Nirvana to me. Spinach, black beans, sweet potatoes, quinoa all in one place. A big plate of healthy yum.

Spicy Red Lentil and Chickpea Stew from Kalyn’s Kitchen

While this and the curried squash recipe below don’t call for “curry” per se, they do include the spices of a good curry: turmeric, Garam Masala, cardamom and cumin. Same thing, just more jars in your spice cabinet. This is a good thing.

Like the Satisfying Lentil Soup, I like to cut the lentils in half for a more soup-like consistency.

Curried Squash from Kalyn’s Kitchen

I love this as an alternative to the typical sweet potato marshmallow thingy on Thanksgiving. I especially love the pop of the mustard seeds in my mouth. Food has to be fun, right? I’m all about how a particular food feels in my mouth. It isn’t all about taste.

Curry Lentils and Spinach From Fat Free Vegan

I try to like tofu and have failed miserably. Thus, I’ve not added it to this recipe when I make it. I’m afraid it would ruin the entire batch for me. But that’s just me! I’m sure chicken would work, too, if you’re the carnivorous type.

Ridiculously Easy Curried Chickpeas and Quinoa

This is one of my absolute favorite recipes. I’m a huge fan of chickpeas. I roast them, put them on salads, love hummus… Chickpeas are the most versatile legume I use in cooking.
The last time I made this, I used ½ t hot curry, 1 t of milder curry and omitted the cayenne. Fabulous! (Said in my best Jon Stewart falsetto.)

Curried Pumpkin Soup from Taste of Home

I’ve not made this one, but I have no doubt it will be good. I’ll make this soon after I roast one of the pumpkins I got at farmer’s market last weekend.

Last, but certainly not least, is my recipe for Sun-Dried Tomato and Curry Hummus. It was originally a Weight Watchers recipe (Roasted Red Pepper Hummus), but I “made it my own,” (somewhere, Paula Abdul is clapping for me).

1 can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), rinsed and drained (reserve the drained liquid)
4-5 sun-dried tomato halves (not the kind in oil)
3-4 (or more) garlic cloves, peeled
2 T tahini
3 T lemon juice
1/3 C Greek yogurt
¼ t pepper
¼ to ½ t salt
1 t curry powder (I use a combo of hot and mild)
½ t cumin
½ t coriander

Put all ingredients in a food processor and process for a minute. Add a little of the reserved liquid (or if you forgot to save it, like I’ve done before, use vegetable or chicken broth or water) and process for another few minutes. Check for consistency and add more liquid if you want. Process for about 3-5 minutes, or until desired consistency.

This is really good right away or after a few hours in the fridge. It’s got a nice bite, especially if you add some kick. Serve with baked pita chips (cut up pita, put on a cookie sheet, spray with a little Pam, bake at 375 degrees for 7-10 minutes). I also spread this on Flatouts or on bagels.

So there you have it. If you have a curry recipe you’d like to share, please post it or the link in the comments!

0 comments:

Post a Comment