Pages

A Day Off

I love (usually) to exercise, but I equally love my one or two days off a week, at least the ones not imposed by illness or TooMuchStuffGoingOnitis. Those are the days I want to exercise the most and I get all pissy and such.

A day off is two cups of tea instead of one and an extra game of WordTwist with my kids online. A day off is two breakfasts, one of which includes *gasp* carbs, like French toast made with Arnold’s sandwich thingies or cereal or “fried” potatoes. A day off is the freedom to debate the necessity of a shower or changing into real clothes before noon. A day off means a little more time for blog reading and writing. It’s a few more minutes of meditation, recipe searching, and dicking around with Twitter (still not sold on its necessity in my life).

Gone are the days when I killed myself with cardio. Two years ago, I averaged six hours a week of cardio in addition to one to two hours of strength training. Yikes! No wonder in my journal I wrote time after time, “I’m sore today.”

These days, I weigh the same as I did two years ago and I average five to maybe-sometimes-but-not-usually six hours of formal exercise a week. Gee, kill myself seven to eight hours a week to maintain my weight AND be sore all the time or cut back to five to maybe-sometimes-but-not-usually six hours to maintain my weight AND not be sore all the time. Hmmm….hard to believe it took me two years to figure that out. Oh, but I forget that I’m the Queen of “Oh My God If I Don’t Work My Ass Off I’ll Gain My Ass Back!” Yeah, I locked her in the basement with my fat chick. They are partners in criticism and I try not to listen to them anymore.

Today is a day off. I had a fruit smoothie with chocolate soy milk and opted for the Arnold’s French toast. (QUICK RECIPE: Dip the two halves of Arnold’s Sandwich Thins in ¼ cup Egg Beaters and two egg whites, cook on a griddle or skillet sprayed with cooking spray, top with two teaspoons of real maple syrup for a total of 3 Points. Don’t forget to scramble up the remaining eggs in the skillet!)

I’m on my second cup of Irish Breakfast and still in my pajamas. I have an extensive to-do list because g-baby #2 will most likely make his/her appearance Saturday or Sunday, but for now, right now, during what would be my exercise time, I’m chillaxin. I’m not fretting that I’ll gain weight. I trust that the body I see today will be the same body I see tomorrow.

Pardon me as I yell down to the basement, “Did you hear that, fat chick and exercise freak? I TRUST myself! Yeah, take that you b-words!” Secretly, though, you all know I’ll get worried once in awhile about the whole weight thing, right? But we don’t need to tell the girls in the basement. That can be just between us.

Now, back to my tea and WordTwist. Here’s hoping you all enjoy a good day off a few times a week!

0 comments:

Post a Comment