Pages

I am a slug? No, Just Feeling Lazy.

I haven’t worked out since Thursday. Friday was my day off, but Saturday and today I offer no other excuse than I just didn’t feel like it.

Is that bad?

This morning I was up at 5:45 for no apparent reason, and all morning (while playing WordTwist and online spades) I kept thinking, Lynn, for god’s sake, you’re a slug! Get up, girl! Do something! So I went for a walk – OK a very pisspoor walk with no hills and no sweating, but a walk nonetheless – and came home and made pickled beets and hummus. I’ll know in a few days how they turned out. Both have to spend time in the fridge.

Anyway…

Since I didn’t have anything better to do *actuallyIdidbutIdon’tfeellikedoingit* I looked up “slug” on Wikipedia and now I’m really confused. Why do we refer to slovenly, lazy behavior as “being a slug”? Slugs are quite busy little creatures, and they participate in one very distinct act that I’m sure no (sane) human would want to.

I’ll let Wiki ‘splain it.

“Slugs are hermaphrodites, having both female and male reproductive organs. Once a slug has located a mate, they encircle each other and sperm is exchanged through their protruded genitalia. A few days later the slugs lay around 30 eggs into a hole in the ground, or beneath the cover of an object such as a fallen log.

Apophallation is a commonly seen practice among many slugs. In apophallating species, the penis curls like a cork-screw and during mating often becomes entangled in the mate's genitalia. Apophallation allows the slugs to separate themselves by one or both of the slugs chewing off the other's penis. Once its penis has been removed, the slug is still able to mate using only the female parts of its reproductive system.”

Yeah…’nuf said. I’ll no longer refer to my lazyassself as a slug.

My arms and glutes are going to HATE me tomorrow, but I can already sense the drill sergeant in me waking up. Bring! It! On! I’m ready with my new t-shirts. It was time to replace the Old Navy workhorses with on-sale American Eagle cotton classics because after all my sweaty workouts, a few stains and smells moved into the fabric and never left, no matter how much Secret I put on.

I’ll be slug-less…I mean less LAZY tomorrow. No chewing off body parts going in my household. But there will be a whole lotta lifting going on.

ANNOUNCEMENT....

I want to give a shout out to someone new to blogging but not new to weight loss and maintenance. Shira Miller lost 50 pounds back in 1992 and has kept it off for 17 years. Talk about defying the odds! A writer, Shira is writing a book that focuses on maintenance success stories and is looking for successful maintainers. Here’s what she told me: “I’m looking to interview a diverse group of women who have maintained a 50-pound weight loss or more for at least five years, and who are willing to share their before and after photos. Anyone who is interested can contact me at shira@shiramiller.com, and check out http://lighterperspective.blogspot.com/ for more scoop on my background.”

Send her an email if you’re interested. In the meantime, enjoy her blog. It’s always good to add another maintainer to the posse.

0 comments:

Post a Comment