Pages

The effects of Niacin on blood cholesterol


I had taken a cholesterol test and was requested by my doctor to see him as it was a little high at 6.5. This would need to be reduced by correct diet, however I wanted to use other natural ways of reducing my bad cholesterol, and naturally being concerned about my health I researched further into natural therapy.

I found that Niacin (Vitamin B3) taken in larger doses would bring down bad cholesterol and bring up good cholesterol. I found Niacin 100mg was available at my local health food shop, this was 556x the recommended daily dose, but would seem to be safe to take one tablet per day.

My research found that 1-2 grams per day was necessary to reduce bad cholesterol, but I was worried about taking this large amount even though there seemed to be no side effects in taking large doses of Niacin.

I decided to double my dose increasing to 200mg per day. I found, at first that I started to flush about half an hour after taking the second tablet, a burning feeling around my neck and face, however this seemed to be a natural reaction to the Niacin. I continued taking the double dose of Niacin for about three months, and then took another cholesterol test. To my amazement my reading was now down to 5.3, which was much more acceptable. I had not followed any particular diet although perhaps I had tried to avoid fatty food.

So looking at the whole picture it would seem that even lower doses of Niacin, ie 200mg per day may play a part in lowering bad cholesterol.
Bookmark and Share
Dr.5z5 Open Feed Directory



0 comments:

Post a Comment