Pages

Yoohoos! and WooHoos! and a Pilgrimage

I want to send a big old Lynn’s Weigh “Yoohoo!” to Sahar at Fat Fighter TV and thank her for the “WooHoo!” on her site. She made me sound and look gooood. Can’t wait to meet her and a whole lotta other bloggers at FitBloggin’10 in Baltimore in March. I haven’t signed up yet, but – god and weather willing – I’ll be there. Are you going?


Another “Yoohoo!” and congrats to Carolyn M from Georgia who won Joy Bauer’s “Joy’s LIFE Diet” book in my giveaway on Tuesday.


And another “Yoohoo!” to reader Tina from Lancaster County PA who sent me the nicest email the other night and like a bonehead, I erased it on my Blackberry which erased it on my PC. If you’re reading this, Tina, please shoot me another email so I can reply!


Now, about that pilgrimage…


In between weather advisories on Tuesday, I hitched up the Jeep and went on my bimonthly pilgrimage to Trader Joe’s and threw in a side trip to Whole Foods. I’ve been out of Shirataki Noodles since October (I’ve had an awful hankerin’ for spinach noodles Florentine), and – thanks to Kalyn at Kalyn’s Kitchen  – I’ve been wanting to try Spike and Za’Atar seasonings, things I can’t find in Podunkville.


Other things I can’t get in Podunkville: chickpea flour; tarragon vinegar; lower (really lower) sodium soy sauce; hearts of palm; cheap(er) tahini; lower sodium pinto, black and garbanzo beans; light coconut milk; fire-roasted tomatoes with no salt added; frozen cherries; Fage; Skinny Dippers crackers (which are being discontinued…*tear*); tuna steaks, turkey bacon, and nan (for hubby); organic honeycrisp apples, Swiss chard, garlic and leeks; shelled edamame; TJ’s infamous low-fat/low-sodium parmesan ranch dressing; and of course:


Yes, I’m eating a bit of chocolate again since the scale is going nowhere whether I eat it or not. Doc says I’ve gained muscle mass and that was her final answer. This after I spent five minutes on Monday whining to her, “Why, why, WHY have I gained four pounds since May!” Have you been working out more? she asked. “Yes,” I said. “But…” Apparently there are no “buts.” So OK, I can live with that.


Anyway….


Whole Foods is a foodie’s Disneyland (not to mention the good looking men who shop there…) and usually I can’t escape without dumping at least $100. Not this time! I faithfully stuck to my list and spent less than $100. My only complaint (other than the prices) at Whole Foods is damn do they keep that place cold! By the time I get to the bulk foods, my fingers are numb – and that’s BEFORE I hit the freezer case! Sadly, I look like Nanook of the North when I shop there and the before mentioned good looking guys tend to avert their eyes.


A few more things before I let ya’ll go…(and I consider this first one a WooHoo! since I love when you guys as me about vegetables…*happytear*)


Many of you asked about the roasted rutabagas in my last post. Here’s what I do: Spray a baking sheet with Pam, thinly (as in 1/8- to 1/4-inch thick) slice a peeled rutabaga (I used a mandoline http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mandoline); lay the slices on the pan; sprinkle with pepper or whatever spices you’d like; spray with Pam; roast at 350 degrees for 30-40 minutes (maybe longer depending on what meaty to crispness ratio you prefer), flipping them occasionally so they cook on both sides. That’s it. Very simple. I do the same thing with peeled beets.


Hope this finds you fully ensconced in your resolutions and the nutritional changes you vowed to make in 2010. I accomplished one of my resolutions already this year – to become a little, just a wee bit, more social. I’ve had coffee with TWO “new” friends (yoohoo! to Kara and Libby!).


Happy Thursday, everyone!

0 comments:

Post a Comment