Pages

Ant Traps and Rabbit Feathers

I finally got my blog back to its original look, but it took some finesse. I made the post about my mess before I fixed my mess. Anyway, if there's a lesson to be learned it's that messes can be fixed.

Caleb and the Ant Trap
Over the weekend, my husky mix decided that it would be a good idea to eat some ant poison. I had no idea that a dog would eat ant bait, but apparently they will and actually like it. The vet told me that the fine makers of ant poison make it taste sweet, or sometimes they make it taste like peanut butter. Well, my little Caleb thought he had something. And I panicked.

I chased him around the yard trying to get it from him. I finally got him inside the house. I remembered my friend who works for a vet said to give them a bunch of bread to eat. I did that and called the vet. I was shaking all over. I couldn't think. And Caleb seemed no worse for the wear.

To my relief, the vet said that most of the ant bait traps have very little poison—at least not enough to kill a dog. Caleb weighs about 60 pounds so it would take a lot to kill him. She said the most it would do would be to make him a little sick.

Well, his belly full of bread seemed to alleviate any nausea. And he's fine. You'd never know he decided that eating ant poison would be a good idea. I, on the other hand, am still quite nauseated.

Rabbit Feathers
After Caleb's little episode, I had to go to a birthday party for my little nephew. He's four now. A little girl at the party came up to me with her little hands filled with feathers and said, "Look. I found some rabbit feathers." I said, "You found rabbit feathers?" My brother started laughing at her, and she got embarrassed and walked away. Poor little thing. And with a big find like rabbit feathers.

No Pigging Out
By the way, at the party I ate berries, a little potato salad, and half of a hamburger—no bun. The hamburger was too greasy to enjoy. Life is better if you don't think about where you're going to get your next meal 24/7.

0 comments:

Post a Comment