Pages

The Clothes Make the Workout

You know what’s sexy? Weight-lifting gloves. The black Velcro-y ones with the fingers cut out and that wrap around your wrists all tight and secure-like. I like wearing them more than a little black dress. I don’t care that no one sees me wear them. It’s how they make me feel, all fit and buff, like I know what I’m doing. Which I kind of do, but in this case, "the clothes make the man.” LOL

I work out mostly at home, but I go to the rec center once or twice a week. One reason I like to work out at in public is because I’m challenged there by the people working out around me. In a recent study, exercisers who worked out next to people they felt were in better shape than they were had a 10-20 percent better workout because they were psychologically challenged to work physically harder. That’s the kind of kick in my seat I need once in awhile. As I wrote about in my blog called "Kicking It Up A Notch" over on Refuse to Regain, it’s easy to get complacent.

Besides the gloves, I have a few shirts I like to wear that emphasize certain arm muscles and shorts that de-emphasize my tummy skin. As I said, even when I’m by myself, I like to see my body in its best light. I spent so many years avoiding mirrors and denying what my body looked like that I’m trying to reclaim it, get to know it, every last inch – flaws and all.

Do you ever wonder if you’re affecting other people when you work out? Are you aware of people around you? Do you like to wear certain articles of clothing when you work out that make you more psyched for your routine? I look forward to the discussion!

0 comments:

Post a Comment