Pages

A Gift from the Gods: Greek Yogurt

The price of gas seems a real bargain when compared to the cost of a 16-ounce container of organic Greek yogurt.

I love the self-checkout at Giant Eagle, the grocery store I go to in Pittsburgh when I don’t have time to get to Trader Joe’s. The computer tells me, in a very pleasant, friendly voice, how much each item costs, and, in the case of fruits and vegetables, exactly what the food is. For instance, if you set a Vidalia onion on the scale and punch in the product code, the computer will say, “Please move your Vidalia onions to the belt.” Good thing it only announces fruits and vegetables and not condoms or Preparation H! Although I wonder if it would make more people wake up to what’s really in their carts if the computer were to announce all their food purchases out loud. “Please move your Pepsi, Tostitos, Cheez-Wiz, donuts, Cocoa Krispies to the belt.”

Sadly, I doubt it.

Anyway, I can’t buy Greek yogurt anywhere in Podunkville, so I stocked up yesterday at Giant Eagle. Thinking the tag in the yogurt section read 2 for $4, I put two large tubs in my cart. When I scanned a tub at the checkout, the computer said, “Five ninety-nine.”

“What? I thought this stuff was two for $4,” I told my daughter. I ran the second tub through and it said the same thing, “Five ninety-nine.”

“You don’t have to keep it,” said my daughter.

But sadly I did. Have to keep it, that is. You see, I’m hopelessly in love with Greek yogurt. It surely comes from the gods on Mount Olympus. Thick, delicious and packed with protein, Greek yogurt is what makes a good smoothie fabulous.

When I broke it down unto servings, it “only” costs $1.49 per half cup – a justifiable amount – and I now have eight (well, actually seven since I just had a smoothie for breakfast) servings in my refrigerator. I’ll be sure to use every single serving before the expiration date sometime in July.

Oh who am I kidding? That stuff will be gone in a week.

On to another subject: Summer salads. Why don’t we make them in winter? This one, especially. Grocery stores carry cukes and red onions in December. I’m reprogramming my salad mindset and keeping this recipe, courtesy of my little sister, in mind on cold winter days. The crunch, sweet and sour satisfies three of my four most common cravings (bread-like substances being the fourth).

THAI CUCUMBER SALAD

2 English cucumbers - the long, skinny ones wrapped in plastic – or 3-4 regular cucumbers, seeded or not, whatever you prefer
1 large red onion, halved, then sliced
¾ cup of seasoned rice vinegar
¼ cup water
1/3 cup sugar - this is to taste, so start out slowly, but the brine should be slightly sweet
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
1 tsp. vegetable oil

Cut cucumbers in half lengthwise and slice. Place cucumbers and sliced onions in a bowl. Mix dressing ingredients in a separate bowl, holding off adding the oil until the very end as to be sure the sugar and salt has dissolved in the vinegar and water. Pour dressing over the cucumbers and let marinate at least overnight, but the salad gets better as it sits longer.

----------------------------------------

If you want to read about my latest exercise discovery, “run” on over to my ZenBagLady blog.

And….if you’re into all things maintenance, check out my new website over at Refuse To Regain.

0 comments:

Post a Comment