Pages

This Isn't Goodbye...

I wrote a blog today over at ZenBagLady bidding readers a temporary farewell as I put the blog on hiatus to pursue the book proposal I've committed to writing. I must also do the same thing with Lynn's Weigh, although unlike ZBL, I'll write here once every few weeks because I don't want to lose touch with all of you. And as I said on ZBL, I'll still be posting once or twice a week at Refuse to Regain, so it's not like I'll be completely holed up in my office writing a book.

I feel like I just put my kindergartener on the bus for the first day of school. I know it's necessary to let go of some things for the greater good of another thing, but it's still sad nonetheless. I promise to stay in touch and hope you will do the same.

Below is today's blog over on ZBL:

English can be such a dull language. It’s so practical in terms of pronunciation – mostly clean and repressed – and it often relies on phrases rather than one single word to communicate an idea or action. Not like German where you get to spit and gargle when you talk, and where several words are pasted together into one word to relay meaning.

Today, though, I’m meditating on one English word that is not only fun to say, but holds great meaning for what I’m about to do to ZenBagLady. The word “hiatus” is one of those English words that creates a stop in your jaw, makes you think for a split second about how it feels coming out. Hiatus. If you look at it long enough, it begins to look like a foreign word, from some Pacific island, meaning a flower, maybe. Or a bug.

But what it really means is to take a break. And that’s what I must do. I’ve committed to writing a book proposal and I’m afraid I’ve not given it the time and energy it needs to be the best book proposal I can write. As much as I hate to do it, ZenBagLady will go into hiatus, like a mediocre sitcom, beginning today. However, I reserve the right to publish a blog on occasion, so ZBL won’t be completely gone. It’s a break. An “interruption in space,” according the dictionary.

Thank you for reading the Lady. It’s been a lot of fun writing it these last two years. I’ll still be blogging once a week over on Refuse To Regain with my friend Barbara, and I promise to return ZBL after I get this proposal written.

‘Til next time….auf Wiedersehen, my friends.

0 comments:

Post a Comment