Pages

Workout Clothes (and an Oprah reminder)

If you haven't seen the "Oprah" show I was on in November, it will re-air this Monday, June 2. The show is truly inspirational and I often wondered why I was chosen to be on when there were so many awesome people on the show who lost a LOT more weight than me, all through diet and exercise. Their stories are incredible. I hope you'll give it a look. (To read about my Oprah experience, click here.)

On to the workout clothes section of this entry.

My hands-down favorite workout clothes company is Under Armour. Their stuff is expensive and so I only own three items - yoga pants, tank top and t-shirt - but I wear the hell out of them. When I sweat in ordinary cotton, I get really cold when I'm done working out because the clothes stay wet for so long. I don't know how, but UA dries faster and keeps me warmer.

This morning I decided to work out in shorts since I'll be working out at home. I'd never wear shorts to a gym for the big reason I'm sure you can guess: jiggly inner thigh skin. It's not real attractive and yes, I'm vain that way. A lesser reason for not wearing shorts to the gym is that my legs look like...well...scrawny chicken legs. I'm laughing as I tell you this, so don't think I'm being too harsh on myself. They're long and don't really match my short torso, and with knees like mine (you've all seen the photo, right?), my legs really aren't my most attractive asset unless they're covered with tights or tight jeans and boots. (I swear that's why I got picked for the Oprah show.)

Bras. Oy. I've tried workout bras, but they squish what little boobies I have so flat that they're uncomfortable. I hate feeling bound in. Besides, very few bras in my size (34A or 34B) account for loose skin under the arms. I wish they made bras with wider bands. Why do bra designers assume everyone with a 34-inch chest can be held together with string? Drives me nuts.

Anyway, so I work out in underwire bras, some padded, some not - again, it depends on if I'm going to the gym. I don't like to be all "headlights" at the gym, you know? The underwires are a bit uncomfortable, but not as bad as the exercise bras.

Shoes. I just bought a new pair of Asics. They are wider at the top and fit me snugly in the back, not an easy find in a shoe. There's very little leather or binding straps on these shoes, which is good. My feet have never been happier. I should go back to that store and get four more pairs. You know I'll never be able to find this exact type of shoe again.

So what do you all wear when you workout? Any favorites you want to pass along? Any bra advice? As always, post a comment or send me an email! Thanks for reading!
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Announcing the launch of my new website: “Refuse to Regain: Providing a supportive and educational online community dedicated to helping you maintain your weight loss”. I’ve been working on this along with my website partner, Dr. Barbara Berkeley, for a few months now. The blog is in its infancy and will evolve over time, and one day become a “real” website and not just a blog. Check it out and give us your feedback. Join the discussion board! Ask questions! We’d love to hear from you.

0 comments:

Post a Comment