Pages

Claire's 1! And, Yum in a Cup


Yesterday, Princess Claire turned 1 year old. That means I’ve been a grandma for a whole year! And I’ll be Grammy Lynn squared when baby Claire gets a new brother or sister at the end of May. Double the fun! I’m pretty sure being a grandparent is as close to heaven on earth as we mortals get.

My daughter and son-in-law threw Claire a family party. It’s been a long time since I’ve seen Matt’s family so it was fun to catch up, at least a little. Claire got most of the attention. So did my chicken barbecue sandwiches. It’s a simple recipe that’s been in my family for many years. It can be used on ribs and whole chicken breasts for dinner, or you can shred chicken or beef and use it in sandwiches. And…it’s fat free and low cal. Here’s the recipe:

Lynn’s Barbecue Sauce
Serves 4-6

1 C chili sauce (or ketchup if you don’t have chili sauce or want something a little less zippy)
1 C water
½ - 1 C finely chopped onions (or use 2-3 T of dried minced onions – that’s what I do when I make this recipe for sandwiches)
2 T Worcestershire sauce
¼ C vinegar
¼ C brown sugar
2 t dry mustard
1 t paprika

Whisk all the ingredients together and throw over a couple pounds of chicken breasts in a roasting pan. Cover and cook at 350 degrees for 2 hours. You can also put it all in a crock pot and cook on low for 6-8 hours. Shred the chicken (or beef if that’s what you used) and remix with the sauce and serve.

I’ve made this ahead of time and frozen it until I needed it. Just add a little chili sauce or ketchup to it because the meat absorbs much of the sauce if it’s not used right away.

Claire got a little taste of the chicken and she liked it. She seemed to like her cake, too, but mostly because it was fun to play in. I can’t be trusted to just play with cake. Cake finds its way into my mouth quickly if I’m not careful. And yesterday, I was very careful. One bite is all I had. One very small bite. But before you think I’m a woman of iron will, I didn’t eat more than one bite mostly because the frosting had way too much fat in it. It lined the roof of my mouth like a film. If I’m going to indulge, I want it to be something I find palatable and not something that sticks to my palate.

And speaking of palatable, I found another something at Starbucks yesterday that will become a permanent part of my food repertoire. I’m probably the last person on earth to discover this, but I love, and I mean seriously love, their Skinny Caramel Latte. I’ve never had a shot of syrup in my coffee before and I wanted to know what all the fuss was about. People blog about how they love sugar-free syrup, they post on message boards how much they love sugar-free syrup. Now I know why they love sugar-free syrup. It’s blog worthy and post worthy. It’s a very yummy way to get a dairy serving in, too. And you all know how much I hate skim milk.

So Claire’s first birthday will go down in my dietary history as the day I discovered syrup shots. Not a bad way to end my first year anniversary as Grammy Lynn.

0 comments:

Post a Comment